International Avenue is committed to a sustainable future for our environment. Check out some of the initiatives we have led to improve sustainability in our community!
Local businesses help support local people, events, and fundraising initiatives. Unique businesses are an integral part of our distinct character. Environmental impact is reduced. More new jobs are provided by local businesses. Customer service is often better. Local business owners invest in the community. Competition and diversity leads to more consumer choices. The list goes on!
Future development plans for the Avenue will incorporate many sustainable building practices. International Avenue BRZ was proud to be a part of the community orchard programme and supports REAP (Respect the Earth and All People).
Check out the sustainable building designs in the approved SE17 Urban Design plan.
Look for another exciting sustainable initiative coming soon!
All BRZ events use compostable plates, cutlery and cups. At our recent Best of the East Stampede Breakfast we diverted 178 lbs of garbage from the landfill alone.
International Avenue was the very first BRZ in Calgary to implement the collection and recycling of cigarette butts! We are proud to be leading the way on this initiative.
Reducing your Carbon Footprint
International Avenue has lots to offer if you are looking to lower your carbon footprint. Consider shopping at one of the many reused/upcycled item shops:
- Sector Computers – 3450 17 Avenue SE
- Jayson’s Corner – 3714 17 Avenue SE
- Value Appliances – 1721 36 Street SE
- Harmony Lane Music – 5701 17 Ave SE
- Quality Tools/Mantiques Mancave – #146, 1830 52 St SE
- Hong’s Tailor – 2889 17 Ave SE
- Video Game Trader – #4, 3456 17 Ave SE
- Discount Vacuum – 3712 17 Ave SE
- Salvation Army – 3012 17 Ave SE
- Cash Canada Pawn – 3233 17 Ave SE
- Southview Motors – 3419 17 Ave SE
- Level Up – 3512 17 Ave SE
- Chinook Auto Sales – 1739 50 Street SE
- Calgary Used Cars – 1827 36 St SE
- House of Van Gogh- #102, 5430 17 Ave SE